Church sign that says 'America: Love it or Leave It', has divided people over its message

Mail Online | 7/18/2019 | Associated Press;Lauren Edmonds For Dailymail.com
ArceusArceus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/18/22/16222646-0-image-a-4_1563485516315.jpg

A church sign telling people to either love or leave America has sparked fury on social media.

In Appomattox, Virginia the controversial sign sits proudly outside the Friendship Baptist Church on Red House Road and reads 'America: Love it or leave it'.

Message - Pastor - EW - Lucas - Wife

The message was introduced by Pastor E.W. Lucas who, along with his wife, founded the church in 1979.

'Since we've had favorable comments on it, I thought I'd just leave it a while,' Pastor Lucas told ABC News 13.

Couple - Sermons

The couple usually posts biblical sermons.

Lucas says he was originally going to comment on the current political chasm dividing Washington, but had an epiphany.

'It - 'America - Lucas

'It just came to me. I just said, 'America, I love it. If you don't love it, leave it,' said Lucas.

People all across social media have reacted, especially to the 'leave it' part.

ABC - Facebook - Post - Lucas - Sign

ABC 13's Facebook post about Lucas's sign has garnered a sharp reaction, with over 2,400 reactions and 1,200 comments.

Some users are calling out Lucas's rational as misguided and contradicting.

User - Guess - Part - Bible - Neighbor

One user wrote: 'I guess they missed the part in the bible that says love the neighbor, treat the sojourner in your country as yourself, treat refugees with kindness.'

Others praise Lucas for his hard edged stance on the matter.

'People - Restaurants - Movies - Situation - Country

'People leave restaurants, movies, any situation so if you don't love this country go find a country that you want to live in. Simple,' one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!