Woman whose Lyme disease makes her feel 'like she has dementia' is raising £6,000 for treatment

Mail Online | 7/18/2019 | Sam Blanchard Senior Health Reporter For Mailonline
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/18/16/16215954-0-image-a-22_1563465444544.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/12/21/4737167400980202633/1024x576_MP4_4737167400980202633.mp4

A 49-year-old woman who says her Lyme disease made her think she had dementia is trying to raise £6,000 for antibiotics to rid her of the illness.

Clare Haworth, from Stepps in North Lanarkshire, had to be diagnosed by a private doctor after she claimed the NHS couldn't tell her what was wrong with her.

Years - Ms - Haworth - Opera - Singer

She first became ill six years ago and Ms Haworth, an opera singer, said she has since suffered from pain and even temporarily forgotten how to drive.

Doctors reportedly told her she was depressed but taking medication for that didn't help, and she now wants to self-fund antibiotic treatment.

Lyme - Disease - Insects - Ticks - Infection

Lyme disease, which is usually spread by small insects called ticks, is a bacterial infection which can take months to appear and cause life-long effects.

'Doctors gave me a blood test and told me there was nothing wrong with me,' she said.

Felt - Bit - Hypochondriac - Antidepressants

'I felt like a bit of a hypochondriac but I was put on antidepressants which actually made me feel worse.

'I'm a good sleeper but I didn't sleep well for two months. I thought I was dying.

Disease - Inflammation - Brain - Illness

'That's why I believed it to be Lyme disease because that can cause inflammation to your brain. It's an invisible illness.

'I don't remember being bitten by a tick but that's how it spreads.'

Ms - Haworth - Friends - Fundraiser - Money

Ms Haworth's friends have set up a fundraiser for her to raise the money she needs to get treatment from a private clinic.

It will cost £3,000 for a single course of antibiotics, and the fundraiser is aiming to get her two.

Singer - Music - Teacher - Back - NHS

The singer, who also works as a music teacher, has turned her back on NHS treatment after saying they couldn't test her...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!