Spiritual adulting with author Alice Connor

Religion News Service | 7/18/2019 | Staff
duck.ie (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Alice-Connor-at-Joseph-Beth-July-2019-seated.jpg

Author Alice Connor.

If you like your spirituality books laced equally with wisdom, memoir, and snarky humor . . .

Authors - Nadia - Bolz-Weber - Rachel - Held

If you have enjoyed authors like Nadia Bolz-Weber, Rachel Held Evans, and Peter Enns . . .

Then let me commend to you Alice Connor’s How to Human: An Incomplete Manual for Living in a Messed-up World, which was just released from Fortress Press. It’s a smart and playful take on theological adulting, basically.

Chapters - Say - Thing - Do - S**t

Chapters include “Say the Thing,” “Do S**t on Purpose,” “Consider the Lilies, Dammit,” and—my personal favorite as a recovering perfectionist—“Sucking at Something Is the First Step to Being Sorta Good at Something.”

RNS: This is a helpful book for the self that isn’t a self-help book, if that makes sense. It’s not “here are the ten things to do to grow your ministry or be a better person.” Would you say it’s more about experimenting, about being curious about what a life with God could look like?

Alice - Connor - Scientist - Idea - Question

Alice Connor: I’m not a scientist, but I feel strongly about the idea of asking a difficult question about the way something is, with true curiosity about what the answer could be. The language of experimentation is about a willingness to see lots of possibilities. If I try something, and it doesn’t “work,” or I don’t get the answer I’m expecting, that is still information I can do something with.

RNS: Give us an example of an experiment you’ve tried.

Connor - Years - Years - Students - Lot

Connor: Years and years ago, one of my students would constantly ask me, “Do you need help?” I tend to carry a lot of heavy stuff around with me on campus. He noticed that I always said no when he asked if I needed help. I realized that I did that because I needed to be in control; I don’t want to lean on other people.

So I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: