Tertill hunts down garden weeds like a Roomba chases dirt

CNET | 7/18/2019 | Brian Bennett
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/k-pvsuuxgkZAz0aG1fLeZaHkDVM=/756x567/2019/07/16/f0f3b311-2c81-4af4-8853-7303c00b8ead/tertill-6.jpg

The Tertill robot lives in your garden and trims weeds automatically.

Weeds are a constant garden threat. Slack off on keeping them under control and they'll quickly take over. The $299 Tertill robot offers a surprisingly functional alternative to constant vigilance and weeding by hand. This solar-powered, automated weed trimmer, is designed to patrol and take out weeds as they emerge, so you don't have to.

Tertill - Dream - Come - Minute - Wind

The Tertill sounds like a dream come true. The minute I caught wind of the Tertill, I was compelled to find out if it actually works. And I'm happy to say, yes it does. The Tertill is in fact a potent weed deterrent. Like any defense system, however, the Tertill isn't unstoppable.

While it's ruggedized and weather-resistant, the robot can be defeated by the environment. Uneven terrain, mud and rocks all can cause the Tertill to fail. Still, if you hate weeding as much as I do, it'll be tough to resist the charms of this little garden helper.

Tertill - Robot - Weeds

The Tertill looks cute, but this robot is ruthless when it comes to destroying garden weeds.

So does the $299 Tertill actually work, and is it worth buying? The answer depends greatly on how you plan to use it and where it will patrol. If you own a raised garden that gets plenty of direct sunlight, then the Tertill will do a phenomenal job.

Beginning - Test - Period - Garden - CNET

At the beginning of my test period, I made sure the garden at the CNET Smart Home was completely devoid of weeds. I then divided the plot in half with a wooden landscape timber. One side I left untouched, while the other I reserved for the Tertill.

The difference between no Tertill (left) and Tertill on the case (right) in our test garden was stark.

Month - Days - Difference

Close to a month later (26 days, to be exact), the difference...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!