The Secret Sin Behind Passive Aggressive Behavior

ChurchLeaders | 7/17/2019 | Staff
lhumara (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/7.18.HOME_.CC.PassiveAggresive.jpg

As church leaders, we have to stop to take a look at any passive aggressive behaviors and the secret sin that may underlie those behaviors.

An Australian girl told me she was traveling through the American South when she met an elderly gentleman who was fascinated with her accent. After a couple minutes of friendly conversation, he finally said, in a thick southern drawl, “I just love yer accent. Can you hear an accent on me?”

Way - Sins - Speech - Ability - Gossip

He couldn’t hear himself. And many of us are the same way when it comes to sins of speech. We’ve lost the ability to hear ourselves. Gossip has become so engrained in us that we think we’re merely sharing a prayer request. Complaining feels like just telling the truth. Unwholesome talk sounds humorous, or at least like an appropriate expression of emotion. For years, I was deaf to my own passive aggressive ways of speaking, and failed to see the dishonesty in it.

Passive aggressive speech is all about communicating in a language that preserves plausible deniability. Imagine (hypothetically) we run out of toilet paper in our home. I may notice, and become frustrated with my wife, because the shopping...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: