Five Biblical Points of Dordrecht

The Aquila Report | 7/18/2019 | Staff
When we contemplate what Scripture says about the severity of man’s fallen condition, the glory of God’s eternal purpose to redeem a people, the perfection of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus, the sweetness of the power of God to bring sinners to Himself, and the assurance of God’s commitment to bring His people to glory by enabling them to persevere to the end, how can we not stand up and shout for joy.

Yesterday, my twitter feed was flooded with comments about a video floating around online in which Mark Driscoll said, “I don’t hold to the five points of Calvinism. I think it’s garbage…because it’s not biblical.” This statement came in the midst of a sociological rant in which the former pastor of Mars Hill Seattle was pontificating on how different groups view God in relationship to their own experience with their earthly fathers. It was interesting to then see that statement juxtaposed against former statements by Driscoll, in another video, in which he completely contradicted what he now says about Calvin and Calvinism. Without wishing to spend any amount of time unpacking the wide array of problems with what Driscoll is currently saying, I do wish to note a few important historical thoughts about the so-called “Five Points of Calvinism.”

Anyone - Reading - Post - Points - Calvin–neither

As anyone reading this post probably already knows, the “five points” did not originate with Calvin–neither did he ever speak explicitly of a five point doctrinal system of salvation. John Calvin certainly did not formulate or utilize the acronym T.U.L.I.P. That being said, one will most certainly find the five points (or “doctrines of grace”) pervasively woven into the writings of the great Genevan Reformer. His theology of salvation was thoroughly God-centered, Christ-exalting, man-humbling, grace-oriented, and biblically-saturated. However, the “five points” were explicitly formulated at the Synod of Dort–a Dutch...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Governemnt sponsored segratation of America, one household at a time.
Tagged: