Screaming Sounds Sent to the Edge of Space, Confirming That… “In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream”

Universe Today | 7/17/2019 | Staff
Kaliela101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Space-Balloon-920x540.jpg

A unique, low-cost, and crowd-scream-sourced experiment has proven what all sci-fi movie fans know is true: In space, no one can hear you scream.”

That line is the tag line from the famous 1979 movie Alien, of course. And now an innovative experiment in Britain has shown that the writer of that movie was correct. To prove it, they used off-the-shelf electronics, an inexpensive balloon, and the recorded screams from a mother in South Africa.

Person - Experiment - University - Brunel - Graduate

The person behind this experiment is University of Brunel graduate Omar Gad, an electrical engineer. He partnered up with “The Naked Scientists,” a BBC Radio show. Together they sent a balloon high into the atmosphere, where a speaker projected the voice of a South African mother named Noha. A short distance away from the speaker, and the mother’s screams telling her children to clean their rooms, was a microphone.

“Children! Come and clean your room!”

Gad - Experiment - Payload - Space - Balloon

Gad’s experiment was initially designed to see how inexpensively he could send a small payload into space with a balloon. He wanted to use off-the-shelf parts to see how cheaply he could do it.

“I’ve always been an advocate of technology and trying to push hardware to its limits – like exposing it to a harsh environment like the weather in space,” said Mr Gad, who was celebrating his 23rd birthday on the day of the launch.

Whole - Project - Cost - £250

“The whole project only cost about £250.”

“Everything I had onboard is affordable and available to the public – almost the entire list of stuff that’s in the box I bought off Amazon! For example, the telemetry device [that enabled the team to track the balloon’s journey from the ground] has a range of over 500 kilometres and cost just £15. It’s quite cheap and affordable and just shows how far we’ve come with technology and innovation. You can buy...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Universe Today
Wake Up To Breaking News!