Churches Don’t Need Unflappable CEOs. They Need Non-Anxious Parents.

Red Letter Christians | 7/17/2019 | Eric Minton
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/shushing-child.jpg

When I was an impressionable college student exploring “the ministry,” a well-intentioned someone gave me Good to Great by Jim Collins in hopes of helping me increase “my reach” as a future pastor. When I was a maybe less impressionable seminary student (who knew everything already thank you very much), several professors invited me to read books about “adaptive leadership” and “corporate strategy” as a way of keeping up with the organizational demands of leading fledgling nonprofit institutions in a down market. As a cynical associate pastor in one of those very fledgling nonprofits I was sent weekly links to articles and TED talks outlining how exactly corporate leaders “turned around” their companies, grew their market shares, and created “a culture” of innovation.

I guess the institution wanted the same from me, but I foolishly studied the humanities, spent three years mastering divinity, and struggled to see the similarities between CEOs making (in some companies) 150 times the average employee, and pastors working in an industry where the company owns your house and doubt is a fireable offense. So I eventually quit because I was depressed, anxious, and confused about how being a pastor had anything at all to do with working for a church in America. I’m now a psychotherapist and the father of a 4 year old who let me know the other day — in the midst of a tantrum because I asked him to use the bathroom — that I am “unnecessary.”

Bit - Nose

I, too, found it a bit on the nose.

If you have met at least one toddler, you might already be familiar with this sackcloth-and-ash approach to following directions they don’t particularly enjoy receiving. A hurricane force meltdown occurs, all while you recall the last time a tiny version of yourself yelled at you because you refused...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...