Chuck Schumer backs bill on slavery reparations as it struggles to gain Senate support

Mail Online | 7/17/2019 | Emily Goodin, U.s. Politcal Reporter For Dailymail.com
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/17/14/16162866-0-image-a-5_1563370354852.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/07/9118113990832374959/1024x576_MP4_9118113990832374959.mp4

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said he supports legislation that would create a commission to study reparations for the descendants of slaves.

'Racism is the poison in America, it's in the American bones,' Schumer said in the Capitol on Tuesday.

Legacy - Slavery - Jim - Crow - ''I

'The legacy of slavery and Jim Crow are still with us,' he noted. ''I don't think people understand that slavery is not far away. I think that's the biggest problem. People say, 'Oh, it happened way back then — what do we have to pay attention now?' The legacy of slavery and Jim Crow — which is a type of semi-quasi of slavery — is still with us and so we need to do a lot more.'

Schumer's pledge of support comes as President Donald Trump faces charges of racism after he suggested four minority lawmakers could go 'back where they came from.'

House - Leaders - Reparations - Legislation - Situation

House Democratic leaders have pledged to vote on the reparations legislation but the situation is different in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell indicated last month the legislation would never come up for a vote in the upper chamber.

US - Sin - Slavery - Ways - American

He argued the U.S. has dealt with the sin of slavery in many ways, including electing an African American president - Barack Obama.

'I don't think reparations for something that happened...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction