Three-year-old Honduran girl is told to choose between her mom and her dad by Border Patrol

Mail Online | 7/16/2019 | Sophie Tanno For Mailonline
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/16/17/16123342-0-image-a-9_1563294491900.jpg

Three-year-old Sofi from Honduras was allegedly forced to choose between her two parents at the US-Mexico border.

At a Border Patrol holding facility in El Paso, Texas, the family claim they were informed only one parent could stay in the United States with their daughter, while the other would be sent back to Mexico.

Family - Border - Patrol - Agent - Sofi

According to the family, the Border Patrol agent asked Sofi to choose between her mother and father.

'And the girl, because she is more attached to me, she said mom. But when they started to take [my husband] away, the girl started to cry,' her mother Tania told NPR.

Family - US - Application - Doctor - Girl

The family were eventually allowed to remain in the US while their application is processed, after a doctor who had examined the girl and found her to have a heart condition allegedly intervened.

Tania, her husband Joseph and their three children crossed into El Paso in April before being sent back to Juárez, Mexico under President Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' policy.

January - Trump - Asylum-seekers - Cases - Mexico

In January, Trump required many asylum-seekers to wait out their cases in Mexico, known as the 'Remain in Mexico' policy or the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP).

Lawyers and rights activists say neither Mexico or Guatemala offer adequate conditions to provide safe harbor for many asylum-seekers, or strong enough institutions to process...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!