Click For Photo: https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/styles/max_650x650/public/2019-07/zarif1_0.jpg?itok=UI09-toh
An opening that could cool tensions, or just a brief pause in the continued build-up to a near-future war?
On Sunday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said in a televised speech he's ready to hold talks with the United States if it lifts sanctions and returns to its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal. “We have always believed in talks... if they lift sanctions, end the imposed economic pressure and return to the deal, we are ready to hold talks with America today, right now and anywhere,” Rouhani said.
Interview - Overture - Secretary - State - Mike
However, in an interview following the overture, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo dismissed it as “the same offer that he offered to John F. Kerry and Barack Obama.” Pompeo concluded, “President Trump will obviously make the final decision. But this is a path that the previous administration had gone down and it led to the (Iran nuclear deal) which this administration, President Trump and I both believe was a disaster.”
Pompeo also said during the Sunday night interview that the US has granted a visa to Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif — who just earlier this month was reportedly the focus of potential US sanctions alongside top IRGC commanders and officials — but that his movements would be greatly limited...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!