The Little Mermaid's Halle Bailey Isn't Alone: Inside Disney's Many Controversial Live-Action Casting Choices

E! Online | 7/16/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201963/rs_600x600-190703125332-600-Halle-Bailey-GettyImages-1126609982.jpg?fit=around|600:467&crop=600:467;center,top&output-quality=90

Similarly, when Marvel announced that Tilda Swinton would be playing the Ancient One in 2016's Doctor Strange, there was criticism that a character drafted as a Tibetan man in the comics was, once again, being whitewashed. Director Scott Derrickson defended the decision to morph the character into a Celtic mystic, saying at the film's London press conference that he felt the casting decision was the lesser of two evils. "The Ancient One and Wong in the comics were 1960s Western stereotypes perpetuating the old Fu Manchu mentor to the white hero and Wong was the kung-fu manservant. What was I supposed to do with those? My first thought was to make the Ancient One a woman and middle-aged, not a fanboy's dream girl. My first thought was that would be an Asian woman but then it felt like it was falling into the Dragon Lady stereotype—the domineering mystical woman with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: E! Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!