Dwayne Johnson: Idris Elba Nixed ‘Black James Bond’ Joke in ‘Hobbs & Shaw’

Variety | 7/15/2019 | Angelique Jackson

In the “Fast & Furious Presents Hobbs & Shaw,” the movie’s villain Brixton, played by Idris Elba, spreads his arms out wide and declares “I’m black Superman.”

It turns out that might not have been the original line.

Dwayne - Johnson - Variety - Elba - James

Dwayne Johnson tells Variety that Elba was first asked to proclaim he’s “black James Bond,” but the Brit actor declined, saying, “It’s too close to what everybody’s talking about.” Elba has continually been on the top of fans’ wish lists for who should replace Daniel Craig as 007.

Now the question is who came up with the black Superman quip. Johnson insists it was his idea. “Everyone loves ‘the black Superman’ line. Everyone’s taking credit for it – Idris, our director, our producers, I’m sure, Jason [Statham]…[but] I came up with that,” Johnson said. “I said, ‘What about the black Superman?’’ And everyone’s like, ‘Great!’ [But] now everyone takes credit.”

James - Bond - Next

Who Should Play James Bond Next?

Elba and producer Hiram Garcia recall things differently.

Line - Elba - Variety - Director - David

“That line was just improvised,” Elba told Variety. “I was in one of these takes and I was really riffing, and then it came out and [director David Leitch] loved it, and so we kept it.”

Garcia concurred: “[Elba] just shouted it out. He was talking trash, shouted it out, and we said, ‘This is incredible!’ [The line] was his…so he ran with it. He loved it, and that line really stuck, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Aim and timing is evereything.