Snowflakes, Suicide, and Scripture

Tim Challies | 7/15/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/1200-x-630-for-Challies-Post.jpg

This week the blog is sponsored by Crown & Covenant and this post is written by Pastor Rutledge “Rut” Etheridge III is assistant professor of biblical studies at Geneva College. His book, God Breathed (Crown & Covenant Publications), releases August 2019.

I like to think that I’m young, and compared to some people—and most trees—I am. But as the number to the right of the four in my age continues its cruel ascent, I’m increasingly thankful for the life-giving privilege of ministering as pastor and professor to people who actually are youthful: young adults. Or perhaps you know them as “snowflakes.”

SNOWFLAKES - REALLY

SNOWFLAKES. REALLY?

Some older adults use that libelous label to mock the shivering souls who meltdown when life turns the slightest heat upon them. The irony is palpable when politically conservative talk show hosts bluster and storm about the snowflakes, telling us that if they hear of just ONE.MORE. MILLENNIAL.MELTDOWN, their heads will explode. Seems those radio guys are a tad touchy, too! Raw-nervedness exists in every generation. While hellish, crippling anxiety is statistically more evident among young adults, it’s not inherent to them. It’s their inheritance. It’s not a millennial way of life; it’s a cultural reckoning.

Augustine - Question - Art - Power - Pop

Augustine asked a profound rhetorical question, “Who has the art and power to make himself?” Pop culture demagogues in the wealthy West have piped up, “I do!” Ours is the Age of Self-Definition, in which the perennial pursuit of personal autonomy has fused more fully with a general philosophy that hails autonomy as truth itself. The “I” generation speaks of “my truth” and “my reality,” having learned a literally self-centered way of life from older, autonomy-seeking adults. We tell rising generations that they are, in essence, gods. Yet when reality refuses to bend to their personal truth, when that which they seize upon for their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.