Has Doug Wilson Really Changed His Mind About The Federal Vision?

The Heidelblog | 7/15/2019 | Staff
samtetley (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://heidelblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/weird-tales-fv.jpg

Since he published his “Federal Vision No Mas” post in January, 2017 several correspondents have written to ask whether he is still a Federal Visionist or to assert that he is not. This is the intended effect of his post: to create the impression that he is no longer a Federal Visionist. He knew that many would read only the headline and draw the inference that he has abandoned the Federal Vision theology, piety, and practice. Apparently, for most of those who actually read the article confusion remains. This is par for the course. One of the persistent tactics of the Federal Vision movement has been to sow confusion about what the movement is. They have persistently argued that, despite all the evidence to the contrary, and despite the careful research by pastors, scholars, and ecclesiastical bodies, no one really understands the nuances of the Federal Vision movement. Well, the Reformed Churches have been here before. We had this very same discussion with the Remontrants in the 17th century. See the Rejection of Errors, the Canons, and the Sentence issues by the Synod of Dort.

If one reads his post carefully, one will see that he disavows the name but not the doctrine. He explicitly affirms all the FV doctrine he has taught. He only says that he no longer wants to be called a Federal Visionist. He writes “So I have finally become convinced that the phrase federal vision is a hurdle that I cannot get over, under or around” (emphasis added). He also continues, “I would still want to affirm everything I signed off on in the Federal Vision statement…”. He refers to the “Joint Federal Vision Profession” of 2007, which mysteriously disappeared from the Federal Visionist website on which it was hosted sometime after this post appeared. It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Heidelblog
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: