Pearson's Gina Torres Previews the 'Darker,' 'More Realistic' Suits Spinoff

TVLine | 7/12/2019 | Vlada Gelman
emilia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/pearson-preview.jpg?w=620

Pearson: Which Suits Stars Will Follow Jessica to the Spinoff?

Pearson may be borne of Suits, but there will be no mistaking the two shows when the spinoff debuts next Wednesday, July 17 (at 10/9c on USA Network).

Chicago-set - Offshoot - Drama - Lawyer - Jessica

The Chicago-set offshoot is not only grittier than the mothership legal drama, but also finds disbarred lawyer Jessica Pearson taking a break from the wealthy to help the disenfranchised in her new role as the mayor’s right-hand fixer. “Where you’re used to Jessica dealing with storylines that really affect the five percent and those who want to be part of the five percent, this is a show about the other 95,” star Gina Torres tells TVLine.

Below, the actress previews Pearson‘s “darker” tone, the Suits pals who may be dropping by and where things stand between Jessica and her beau Jeff.

TVLine - | - Goodbye - Jessica - Suits

TVLine | Even after we said goodbye to Jessica on Suits, we still saw her quite frequently on the show, and now you’ve got the spinoff. Was it hard for you to let go of the character?

You know, I had absolutely no desire to revisit the character when I left Suits. [Laughs] I thought I was done, and then some time went by, and I started thinking about her, and I started thinking about what she might be doing, and it just happened to coincide with the 2016 election. Politics, it was like must-watch TV. It was just insanity, all the things that were happening, and I started thinking about Jessica, what she might do in the political arena, because of her skill set, because of what she’s so good at, and that was the seed that gave us this.

TVLine - | - Show - Years

TVLine | You could potentially be doing this show for several more years. What makes her still so exciting for you to play after all this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The Democratic Party would be dead without the Republican Enabler Party! GOPe, fighting for Democrats since...