Why the Nintendo Switch Lite makes perfect sense

CNET | 7/11/2019 | Mark Serrels
fofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/_Z9YwKtVlvzXfkwIvEPwHz02W_Y=/756x567/2019/07/10/589e0c2d-a1c1-4413-ab75-a913d9677c86/lite-photo-01.jpg

The Nintendo Switch is the first video game console I've loved as an object on its own terms.

I recognize how ridiculous this sounds.

Did - Super - NES - Kinda - Did

Did I love the Super NES? Yeah kinda. Did I love the PlayStation or the Xbox 360? I guess. More than anything, I loved the games I played on those consoles. Not the console itself.

The Nintendo Switch is different. Sure, the Switch is a conduit to brilliant video game experiences, but it's more than that. The Switch is an experience in and of itself. It's an object that's transformed the ways you could interact with home consoles. It's different.

Parent - Switch - Console - Video - Games

I'm a time-poor parent of two, and the Switch is the console that gave me back my video games. I can play on the bus, on the train, in bed before I sleep. This is traditional handheld fare but, again, the Switch is different. It bends to my will. On the few occasions I do have time to sit on the couch and play video games the old-fashioned way, the Nintendo Switch pours itself into the gaps of my life seamlessly.

Best of all, it feels premium and important. Traditional handheld experiences (the PlayStation Vita is probably the best example) have been great in the past, but the Switch isn't "just" a "handheld," it's Nintendo's main console. You're not playing a watered-down, spin-off version of Zelda developed by Nintendo's B-team, you're playing THE Zelda. You're not playing a port of a video game you once played on a big screen a decade ago, you're playing video games at the cutting edge. That's the difference with the Switch, and it's a big difference.

Nintendo - Switch - Handheld

The Nintendo Switch is more than just a handheld.

Unless, that is, you're talking about the newly announced Nintendo Switch Lite. Then it literally is just a handheld.

OK,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!