Alan Dershowitz says Alex Acosta is getting a 'bum rap'

Mail Online | 7/11/2019 | Geoff Earle, Deputy U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/11/23/15940498-0-image-a-4_1562882479999.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/07/10/8219915627943116877/1024x576_MP4_8219915627943116877.mp4

Lawyer Alan Dershowitz is rejecting claims that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein benefited from his connections to powerful people – and is defending Alex Acosta from charges he handed a sweetheart deal to Epstein's team of legal all-stars.

'I think in many respects he's getting a bum rap with the benefit of hindsight,' Dershowitz told DailyMail.com in an interview after Acosta held a press conference to defend the 2008 no-prosecution deal prosecutors reached with Epstein.

Acosta - Performance - Press - Conference - Epstein

He praised Acosta's performance at a high-stakes press conference about the Epstein deal Wednesday, although he cautioned: 'I can't evaluate how the president felt about it.'

Dershowitz, who was part of the pricey and talented lineup that Epstein assembled to defend himself, also rejected the notion of preferential treatment through Epstein's connections, who included Donald Trump, Prince Andrew, and Bill Clinton.

Prince - Andrew - Deal

'Totally irrelevant. Prince Andrew is going help him get a good deal?' he said.

He said of prosecutors: 'They were making their own determination. It went through several levels [up to the deputy attorney general in Washington]. And it was approved by everybody because there was nothing unusual about it.'

Dershowitz - Palm - Beach - Authorities - Epstein

Dershowitz negotiated with Palm Beach authorities for Epstein to avoid jail time – although federal authorities stepped in and ultimately negotiated a guilty plea that had him serve 13 months in a county jail with work release.

Asked if he knew about Epstein's connections to Trump at the time – the two men have been photographed at Mar-a-Lago – Dershowitz said: 'I knew he knew him. He once drove me past Mar-a-Lago and said that's where Donald hangs out. But no, I still don't know the extent of their relationship,' Dershowitz said.

'I - Bill - Clinton - Incident - Clinton

'I know that he was close to Bill Clinton,' he added. 'I remember an incident where Clinton was talking to him on the phone while at a party...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?