A boom in at-home abortions is coming

Vox | 7/9/2019 | Anna North
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nEGO-6hyMMtcRPVM9eyrxyWkLB0=/0x71:1800x1013/fit-in/1200x630/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16684821/home_abortion_board.jpg

After Marie decided to take medication to end her pregnancy, it took several days for the pills to work.

She used a sock filled with rice, heated in the microwave, as a heating pad to relieve the cramps, and put on soothing music to help her calm down. One thing she didn’t do was call her doctor.

Data - Phenomenon - Experts - Number - People

Though there’s no comprehensive data on the phenomenon, experts say a growing number of pregnant people are, like Marie, choosing to self-manage their abortions, getting pills or herbs over the internet, through friends or non-clinical providers, and taking them on their own. Advocates say the number is likely to grow even more in the years to come.

With states passing ever-stricter abortion laws, dozens of clinics closing in recent years, and a potential challenge to Roe v. Wade on the horizon, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for many Americans to get an abortion from a medical provider. If near-total bans like the ones recently passed in Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and Ohio are allowed to take effect, more pregnant people could find self-managed abortion their only option.

Abortion - Procedure - Clinic - Marie - Instance

But some are choosing self-managed abortion even when they can legally have the procedure at a clinic. Marie, for instance, chose to end her pregnancy with pills she got through a friend after a bad experience seeking an in-clinic abortion in the past. “I didn’t want to go back to the stigma I already faced,” she said. “I didn’t want to go back to being judged for something that I know I had a right to.”

As self-managed abortion becomes increasingly common, advocates argue that it’s time for America to get past the “coat-hanger narrative” of unsafe home abortions and embrace the new reality.

Abortion - Role - Matter - Roe - Farah

“Self-managed abortion is going to play a bigger role, no matter what happens with Roe,” said Farah Diaz-Tello, senior counsel...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Vox
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: