Amy McGrath walks back remarks on Kavanaugh confirmation

Roll Call | 7/10/2019 | Niels Lesniewski
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.images2.rollcall.com/image/27cf5635a9671932facf9eaaf28bb860456d2c0d8fa9d892971ca7752284a2a3f694222a45edf4131ed6bf50844a038a/author/2019/07/AmyMcGrath_SS_071218_18.jpg

Updated 7:53 p.m. | Kentucky Democrat Amy McGrath reversed course Wednesday night on whether she would have voted for Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, just a day after launching her campaign to unseat Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

McGrath tweeted that she would have voted against Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the high court, after saying in an interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal earlier in the day that she “probably would have voted for him.”

McGrath - Newspaper - Allegations - Misconduct - Christine

McGrath told the newspaper that the allegations of sexual misconduct raised by Christine Blasey Ford during the Kavanaugh confirmation process were credible, but she did not consider them disqualifying.

“I think it’s credible but given the amount of time that lapsed in between and from a judicial standpoint, I don’t think it would really disqualify him,” she said.

Confirmation

When pressed, she said that she would have tended to favor the confirmation.

“You know, I think that with Judge Kavanaugh, yeah, I probably would have voted for him,” McGrath said.

Story - McGrath - Twitter - Remarks

But after the story was published, McGrath took to Twitter to walk back those remarks.

“I was asked earlier today about Judge Brett Kavanaugh and I answered based upon his qualifications to be on the Supreme Court,” she tweeted. “But upon further reflection and further understanding of his record, I would have voted no.”

McGrath - Marine - Veteran - Fighter - Pilot

McGrath, a Marine veteran and former fighter pilot, ran for Kentucky’s 6th District last cycle, losing to GOP Rep. Andy Barr by 3 points.

In the wide-ranging interview with the Courier-Journal a day after she officially jumped in to challenge McConnell, she also talked about her views on abortion policy, which is always front-and-center in Supreme Court confirmation debates.

McGrath - Abortion - Restrictions - Access

McGrath said that while she is Catholic and personally opposed to abortion, she believed current restrictions on access were appropriate, and they should not be expanded.

“I think there are enough restrictions on abortion...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roll Call
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...