‘Family Reunion’ Creator Meg DeLoatch on Assembling an All-Black Writers’ Room and When We’ll See Jaleel White Show Up [Interview]

/Film | 7/10/2019 | Fred Topel
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Family-Reunion-Showrunner-Interview.jpg

Just after everyone’s had their 4th of July barbecues, Netflix is inviting viewers to its own Family Reunion. The streaming service’s new sitcom is about football star Moz Mckellan (Anthony Alab) and his wife Cocoa (Tia Mowry-Hardrict) who take their family to visit his parents (Loretta DeVine and Richard Roundtree) in Georgia. The kids experience a culture shock while the parents get back in touch with their roots.

Family Reunion creator Meg DeLoatch has been a TV writer for over 20 years since Family Matters, and created other shows like Eve. DeLoatch assembled an all-black writers room for Family Reunion, which films in a traditional multi-camera format in front of an audience. DeLoatch spoke with /Film by phone about Family Reunion, which is now streaming on Netflix.

Family - Reunion

How did Family Reunion come about?

Well, my Netflix executive, Robert Prinz called me and he said that he was looking for a black themed family show. He felt like it was an audience that needed to be served on Netflix and we just started chit chatting. I shared with him a friend of mine was married to a football player. I always thought they had a really interesting dynamic because she was the church girl and he wasn’t. That sort of changed during their marriage. Those conversations led to what I would love to do is tell a story that is very much influenced by my family and my friends and my experience growing up in this country. That’s how Family Reunion evolved.

Lot - Pilot - Kids - Jade - History

You establish a lot in the pilot, that young kids like Jade don’t know about political history like the Black Panthers, the whole church scene, etc. Was there a lot you wanted to set up at the beginning so you had all these themes to deal with throughout the series?

Yeah, just the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!