Topless woman challenges Minnesota indecent exposure law at beach

Mail Online | 7/10/2019 | Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com
emilia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/10/22/15889726-0-image-a-53_1562794015621.jpg

A Minnesota woman who has been proudly swimming topless for two years is challenging her state’s indecent exposure law.

Michelle Bennett, a photographer in Duluth, was tanning topless at Park Point beach at Lake Superior on June 26 with friends when a concerned parent approached her and asked her to cover up saying her kids, sitting about 60 feet away, were uncomfortable.

Hour - Duluth - Officer - Scene - Back

She refused and about a half hour later a Duluth police officer arrived on the scene to ask her to put her top back on.

'He told me it wasn’t a nude beach. I said no one here is nude,' a defiant Bennett said to the Post Bulletin.

'I - Sun - Business - Fox21

'I wasn’t being lewd, I was just laying in the sun, minding my own business,' she added to Fox21.

What followed was a 45-minute discussion of Minnesota's vague indecent exposure law where Bennett argued that women's bodies were being sexualized in public places and debated the terms of 'private parts' and 'lewd behavior'.

End - Beach

In the end, she covered up and wasn’t arrested, insisting that it’s not illegal to be topless on the beach.

'They really couldn’t establish if I was breaking a law because of that ambiguous language [in the law],' she said.

Minnesota - State - Statue - Person - Indecent

Under Minnesota's state statue, a person is guilty of indecent exposure when he or she 'willfully and lewdly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The Democratic Party would be dead without the Republican Enabler Party! GOPe, fighting for Democrats since...