Nintendo Switch Lite is $200 and colorful, but doesn't connect to TV

CNET | 7/10/2019 | Scott Stein
cindy95240 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/yMTm7OUVxEqGA19ZkalD5Og54MU=/479x923:6112x5058/756x567/2019/07/10/3db9e4dd-b141-4ae9-aaef-41e7757f7217/nintendo-switch-lite-1.jpg

The Nintendo Switch Lite comes in three colors, costs less and lacks a dock.

When reports emerged of a lower-cost Nintendo Switch that wouldn't have detachable Joy-Con controllers and couldn't plug into a TV, my son had one question. What's the point of a Switch that doesn't Switch? Good question. But that's exactly what Nintendo is releasing on Sept. 20. The Nintendo Switch Lite is handheld-only and costs $200. (UK and Australian pricing is yet to be announced, but that converts to £160 or AU$290.) That's $100 less than the original Switch and also shrinks the previous model down a bit, with a 5.5-inch, 720-pixel screen. But it also ditches TV connectivity via USB-C, and no longer has detachable rumbling controllers. Despite missing some features, it did feel great in my hands.

Switch - Nintendo - Switch - Mode - Time

Is it really a Switch? Does that even matter? I play my old Nintendo Switch in handheld mode most of the time. Nintendo's holiday version of the Switch is making a bet that, for many people, that will be good enough.

To be clear, the original Nintendo Switch, which sold 34 million systems globally in the first two years, will stick around alongside the Switch Lite at the original $300 price.

Systems - Coexist - Market - Nintendo - America

"We believe the two systems will complement each other and coexist in the market," Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser said in a conversation with CNET, distinguishing the Lite as a "compact, lightweight, dedicated gaming device."

The lower-cost Switch Lite is missing some features, but also seems like Nintendo's handheld future beyond the Nintendo 3DS. But even though the Switch Lite looks like the beginning of the end of the 3DS/2DS, according to Bowser, those handhelds aren't disappearing yet either.

Switch - Lite - Colors - Turquoise - Grey

The three Switch Lite colors: turquoise, grey, yellow. I am in love with turquoise.

The Switch Lite's packaging looks brighter and so do...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: