Tony Perkins: Christian Faith Has Been Essential Component of America’s Greatness, Exceptionalism

CNS News | 7/5/2019 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/american_flags_in_washington_d.c._photo_by_george_rose-getty_images_4.jpg

Birthdays and anniversaries, especially as the years accumulate, are accompanied by reciting and reliving the stories of the past. The older I get, the more I look back with appreciation on those occasions where I listened to my grandparents and parents relive defining moments in their lives. Those accounts not only give me a better understanding of our family's story, but my place in that still unfolding story.

And so it is for a nation.

Americans - Anniversary - Birth - Nation - Moments

As Americans celebrate the anniversary of our birth as a nation, it is undoubtedly appropriate, if not necessary, to reflect upon those defining moments from our history that not only help us understand and appreciate our nation's unique history, but also help us understand that we are a part of something much bigger than ourselves.

Freedom is the title of America's story. America's freedom was the fuel that churned the American engine of ingenuity and economic advancement and made America the land of opportunity that served as a magnet to attract millions to the shores of the young nation. But one cannot objectively look at our nation's story and not see that from the very beginning faith and religious exercise played a significant role in shaping the freedom that put America on the rapid path to becoming a world leader.

Ingredient - Freedoms - Inhabitants - America - Freedom

An essential ingredient to the political and social freedoms that the inhabitants of America have enjoyed is not only the individual freedom of religion, but an understanding that the public practice or exercise of religious faith is essential to America's success. Even President Obama noted in a 2006 speech that “secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the public square. Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings Bryan, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King – indeed, the majority of great reformers...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!