What is Killing Korea’s Entertainment Talent?

Variety | 7/4/2019 | Sonia Kil
ali11 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/jeon-mi-seon-rexfeatures_10320949p.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Singer-songwriter, JK Kim Dong-uk recently released a new single “Stay,” which delivered a message to people considering suicide. In an interview with local media, Kim said he had witnessed colleagues’ battles with depression.

The song was unfortunately timely. This week’s apparently self-inflicted death of actress Jeon Mi-seon has further raised the alarm about the mental health of those who seem to be in ever-glowing spotlights.

Jeon - Hotel - Jeonju - Hours - Stage

The 48-year-old Jeon was found dead in a hotel in Jeonju, a few hours ahead of a scheduled stage performance. Though the police reported that there had been no suicide note, her management Boas Entertainment said in a statement that she had been treated for her depression and largely left open the possibility of Jeon’s suicide.

The Korean entertainment industry is notoriously high-pressure. Actress, Lee Yoo-young (“Yourself and Yours”) recently wrote on her social media: “I hope I die. Every day feels like ****. I want to escape.” Lee has not attempted suicide, nor has she clarified her statement.

BTS - Blackpink - K-Pop - Is - Moment

From BTS to Blackpink, K-Pop Is Having a Major Moment in the U.S.

But the industry has killed several others. And as they bade farewell, some revealed how toxic the industry can be.

Case - Jang

The most widely known case is that of Jang...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!