Jeremy Hunt promises vote to bring back fox hunting as part of Britain's 'heritage'

Business Insider | 7/4/2019 | Adam Bienkov
MonkeyBubble (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5d1d9b6fa17d6c14ec6b9cc3-1536-768.jpg

The ban on fox hunting in the UK could be lifted, under plans by the Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Hunt, who is running to become the next prime minister, said he would back a new vote on legalising hunting with hounds after the next general election.

Government - Opponents - Attempt - Ban

The government's opponents promised to fight any attempt to lift the ban.

Hunt U-turns on Thursday following a backlash from Conservative MPs, saying a new vote wouldn't be a "priority."

Visit - Business - Insider - Home - Page

Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.

LONDON — Jeremy Hunt would vote to lift the ban on fox hunting in the United Kingdom, if he becomes prime minister, he said on Wednesday.

Foreign - Secretary - Hunting - Government - Part

The Foreign Secretary said that he would be "happy" for fox hunting, which was banned under the last Labour government in 2004, to be allowed again as it was "part of the countryside."

"I would vote to repeal the ban on foxhunting," Hunt told the Telegraph.

Majority - Parliament - Fox - Vote - Parliament

"I would soon as there's a majority in parliament that would be likely to repeal the fox hunting back I would support a vote in parliament."

He said repealing the ban was necessary in order to restore the "heritage" of the British countryside.

Part - Countryside

"I don't hunt personally... but it's part of the countryside," he said.

"It's part of our heritage so personally I'm happy for people to do it."

Hunt - Comments - Backlash - Opponents - Conservative

Hunt's comments triggered a backlash among opponents and Conservative MPs, leading the Foreign Secretary to say on Thursday that a new vote would not be his "priority."

The Conservative party has a long-running commitment to repealing the fox hunting ban but has so far resisted taking the opportunity to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!