Labour MP weeps in the Commons as she praises new fund to help parents pay for child funerals

Mail Online | 6/5/1989 | James Tapsfield, Political Editor, For Mailonline
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/03/16/15590734-0-image-a-73_1562166380653.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/07/03/3083520287536597458/1024x576_MP4_3083520287536597458.mp4

An MP who lost her own son wept in the Commons today as she spoke about a new fund to help bereaved parents pay for funerals.

Labour's Carolyn Harris, whose eight-year-old son Martin died in a road accident almost 30 years ago, broke down as she praised Theresa May and other colleagues for helping deliver the support.

MPs - Parliamentary - Convention - Politician - Scheme

MPs ignored Parliamentary convention to applaud the politician as she said the scheme would bring comfort to people in their 'darkest hour'.

Ms Harris has previously described movingly how she was forced to take out a loan to fund her son's funeral while struggling to cope with her grief.

Fund - July - Parents

The fund, which will be operational from July 23, will support bereaved parents and help them with paying for a funeral.

In a tearful and passionate speech in the House of Commons, Swansea East MP Ms Harris said: 'Martin's Fund is a legacy for my son and will be a comfort for every parent that will need to use it in the future.

'So - Bottom - Heart - Thank

'So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.'

The Government estimates that each year 4,350 children die under the age of 18 and grieving parents can face thousands in council fees for burial or cremation costs.

Government - Authorities - Costs - Burials - Cremations

The Government pledged in 2018 to fund local authorities to waive the costs of burials and cremations for children and young people under the age of 18, so grieving parents no longer have to pick up the bill.

Ms Harris admitted she had sometimes been 'impatient' in pushing for the policy to come into effect, but stressed the huge difference it could make to families.

MPs - Parties - Ms - Harris - Tribute

MPs from all parties applauded Ms Harris and paid tribute to her words...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!