Virtual rituals give expat Greeks a chance to live out their faith from abroad

Religion News Service | 7/2/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/webRNS-Greek-Startup5-070219.jpg

ATHENS (RNS) — Two factors have defined Greek life for at least the past century: religion and emigration.

Now, a new startup, Do My Tama, is helping ex-pats stay connected to their faith and families by offering to perform religious devotions, virtual pilgrimages and other religious services.

Countries - Percentage - Digits - Greeks - Orthodox

Unlike many Western European countries, where the percentage of the pious is down to single digits, Greeks have held fast to the Greek Orthodox Church, with some 55% saying religion is very important to their lives in an October 2018 report from the Pew Research Center.

That attachment has stuck with the more than 1.7 million Greeks who have left since the early 1900s — including half a million who have sought opportunities overseas since the global economic crisis nearly forced Greece to crash out of the European Union in 2014.

People - Services - Members - Greek - Diaspora

“Most people asking for our services are members of the Greek diaspora,” said Maria Psiridi, Do My Tama’s founder. “(One) Greek who’s now working in China asked us to light a candle and leave flowers on his mother’s grave in Athens because he hadn’t visited for three years.”

Part of being a pious Greek Orthodox is doing tama, or oblation: a promise one gives to God in exchange for help with a difficult task. It often involves making an offering of a golden plate at the icon of a saint. If someone is undergoing eye surgery, for example, the plate would be stamped with a pair of eyes.

Greece - Do - My - Tama - Oblation

For those can’t get to Greece, for $40 to $200, Do My Tama will take an oblation to the customer’s preferred church, monastery or saint, light a candle or take a traditional Orthodox offering of bread. An additional $70 gets a customer a video of the act.

Psiridi said she got the idea for the service last year, when a friend...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .