Former National Association of Evangelicals Head Mannoia Urges California Lawmakers: Direct Pastors to Affirm LGBT

Juicy Ecumenism | 7/2/2019 | Jeffrey Walton
megzmegz123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Kevin-Mannoia.jpg

A former top official with the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) has testified in favor of legislation that blames stigma from religious groups for a high rate of suicide among persons who identify as ****, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ).

Dr. Kevin Mannoia testified before a California State Assembly judiciary committee on Concurrent Resolution 99 (ACR 99) which seeks to curtail “Practices or therapies that attempt to create a change in a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity”.

Behalf - Pastors - Church - Leaders - Levels

“On behalf of some Christian pastors and church leaders, I write to express various levels of support for the Resolution ACR 99 dealing with Conversion Therapy and LGBTQ persons,” Mannoia wrote in a letter of support.

Social conservative organizations, including the California Family Council and Liberty Counsel oppose the legislation as a violation of religious freedom for pastors and counselors.

Mannoia - Azusa - Pacific - University - Chaplain

Mannoia, who currently serves as Azusa Pacific University chaplain, was vague in his letter to Assemblyman Evan Low (D-San Jose), writing of “deep desire to collaborate with others in the common good and on behalf of the dignity of every person.”

“Frankly, one of the underlying interests that I have is to change the tone of the conversation,” Mannoia testified. “I come from a tradition that is a conservative tradition in the church, and I appreciate [Assemblyman Low’s] willingness to remain in dialogue.”

Language - Legislation - Stigma - LGBTQ - Groups

The language of the legislation is more direct, asserting that “The stigma associated with being LGBTQ often created by groups in society, including therapists and religious groups, has caused disproportionately high rates of suicide, attempted suicide, depression, rejection, and isolation amongst LGBTQ and questioning individuals.”

The resolution calls upon religious leaders “to counsel on LGBTQ matters from a place of love, compassion, and knowledge of the psychological...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!