‘Stranger Things 3’ Star David Harbour on Hopper’s Emotional Journey, Bringing Back Fight Scenes, and What the Future Holds [Interview]

/Film | 7/2/2019 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/david-harbour-stranger-things-interview.jpg

Stranger Things 3 takes Police Chief Jim Hopper through a big emotional journey, growing the character exponentially from when we first met him in season 1. That character growth wouldn’t work nearly as well were it not for the incredible work of actor David Harbour, who plays the gruff-but-lovable character to perfection. I had the chance to talk with Harbour about the upcoming season, and during the conversation it became abundantly clear to me how seriously he takes his job, and how much nuanced thought he puts into Hopper as a character.

In our interview below, learn more about Hopper’s arc, as well as his return to punching the **** out of people, and what awaits the character, and the show, in the future.

Hopper - Season - Hopper - Season - Bit

The Hopper we see in season 3 seems so different from the Hopper we met in season 1. Can you talk a bit about the character’s growth, and his journey through the course of season 3?

What I love about the show is that all the characters get a chance to really stretch their wings, and develop in different ways. So often in shows, you just show up, and you’re Gilligan on the island for 10 years, and you’re just in the red shirt, and you’re never getting off the island. With this…it’s like, Hopper was very different in season one than he was in season two. And now in season three, he’s become a full-on father.

Problems - Gate - Daughter - Pills - Tuinals

There’s no real Hawkins problems anymore. They closed the gate. So he’s got a daughter that’s legitimized, that he has to actually show up for. He can’t really pop pills anymore. Like those Tuinals, [and] he can’t even really drink as hard as he used to. So he’s on the couch, eating chips and salsa, getting fat, and is subliminally incorporating a lot...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
True or False Prophet, check for God keeping seal of approval.