Evangelism Is Not a Solo Sport

The Gospel Coalition | 7/2/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/26133804/IMG_6942.jpg

“I can’t do it! It’s so hard for me,” a staff member recently said to me.

“Why do you keep saying that?” I asked.

Evangelist

“I’m not gifted like you. I’m not the evangelist that you are.”

The irony underneath this conversation was that God was using this young lady in the lives of many people in multiple ways. Many students moving toward Christ would reference things she had said or done. Despite this, somewhere deep in the recesses of her heart, she was convinced she was not good at evangelism. She told herself (and others) that she didn’t have the gifts, the talent, the boldness, or the personality to evangelize.

Beneath - Nothing - Lie - Evangelism - Sport

The lie beneath other lies she was believing had nothing to do with her; rather, it was a common lie about evangelism—that evangelism is an individual sport. As opposed to sports that promote teamwork and collective contribution, individual sports highlight the individual’s gifts, talents, contribution, and effectiveness.

Many of us see evangelism as an individual sport; this mindset affects the way we approach it. In contrast, the Bible describes and prescribes a team approach to proclaiming the good news.

South - Time - Contraction - Y'all - Pennsylvania

If you live in the South or have ever spent time there, you’ve most likely heard the contraction y’all. If you live in Western Pennsylvania, however, you’re probably more familiar with yens. But regardless of where you’re from, these colloquial expressions are helpful in providing us with the second-person plural.

Acts 1:8, a verse often quoted with regard to witnessing, shares the you-plural concept:

Power - Holy - Spirit - Y'all - Witnesses

But [y’all] will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on [y’all]; and [y’all] will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

The Great Commission is addressed to the implied “you,” which is clearly plural from the context: “When they saw him, they worshiped him;...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!