Futuristic HBO Drama Lambasts Trump, Pence, ‘Old Men In Power Forever’

NewsBusters | 7/1/2019 | Staff
rach-rach (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/years_and_years_-_09_06_43.jpg

On the second episode of BBC’s Years and Years, which aired in the United States on HBO July 1, the woes of the Lyons family have become more catastrophic.

A year has passed since the nuking of the Chinese island of Hong Sha Do in the final days of the Trump presidency, which has brought about sanctions and trade wars. Edith (Jessica Hynes) returns from her years-long trip to Asia, but she has a shortened expected lifespan due to radiation exposure from being near the island, a detail her family learns of while watching her do a television interview.

News - Montage - World - President - Mike

A news montage portrays a less than ideal world with President Mike Pence in office.

Edith (on TV): Okay, that might be true, but never mind me. Hong Sha Dao will have consequences for all of us, and it terrifies me. Because the world keeps getting hotter and faster and madder. And we don't pause, we don't think, we don't learn. We just keep racing to the next disaster. And I keep wondering what's next? Where are we going? When's it ever going to stop?

Newscaster - President - Pence - United - Nations

Newscaster: President Pence has defied the United Nations.

Woman on TV: But we're making it worse. The more we impose sanctions, the more America swings to the right.

Daniel - Okay - Putin - President - Life

Daniel: Okay, Putin, president for life. XI Jinping, president for life. And now Pence-- just a puppet. Trump is still in charge. These old men are in power forever!

Edith says sanctions are needed against America because “they turned a trade war into an actual war.” Members of Edith’s family are against the sanctions, and suffering personally for it. “And who pays the price?” Celeste (T'Nia Miller) asks, while watching Edith’s interview. “Me.” Let’s not forget the viewers subject to this propaganda.

Stephen - Rory - Kinnear - Wife - Celeste

Stephen (Rory Kinnear), his wife Celeste, and their daughters are forced to sell their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!