Putin says Elton John is 'mistaken' and Russia has a 'relaxed' attitude to LGBT rights

Mail Online | 6/29/2019 | Leigh Mcmanus;William Cole For Mailonline
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/29/02/15400446-0-image-a-23_1561771114016.jpg

Sir Elton John has attacked Vladimir Putin over his claim Russia has 'no problem' with LGBT people prompting the president to respond by saying the singer is 'mistaken.'

Putin also took time to praise the British singer as a 'genius musician' after also saying that his country is 'relaxed and unprejudiced' towards LGBT rights.

Singer - Interview - Russian - President - Financial

The singer said he was 'deeply upset' by an interview the Russian president gave to the Financial Times in which he said liberalism had 'outlived its purpose'.

Sir Elton accused Mr Putin of 'duplicity' because distributors of the recent Rocketman film 'heavily' censored it in Russia to remove references to his husband David Furnish and their family.

'I - Lot - Respect - Genius - Musician

'I have a lot of respect for him, he is a genius musician, we all enjoy his music, but I think he is mistaken,' Putin said when asked about Elton John's comments in Osaka where he was attending a G20 summit.

Putin said Russian authorities had a 'relaxed and unprejudiced' attitude towards LGBT people, but decisions about gender identity could only be made by adults and therefore minors need to be 'left alone'.

Law - Homosexuality - Minors

Russian law bans 'propaganda of homosexuality among minors'.

Putin also said that while he did not deny the attractiveness of liberal values in general, he was referring to situations where they impinged on traditional lifestyles.

'I - Interview - Financial - Times

'I was deeply upset when I read your recent interview in the Financial Times.

'I strongly disagree with your view that pursuing policies that embrace multicultural and sexual diversity are obsolete in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!