Chicago veteran reporter Russ Ewing who famously helped murder suspects surrender to cops dies at 95

Mail Online | 6/27/2019 | Stephanie Haney For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/27/17/15338484-0-image-a-2_1561652703966.jpg

Chicago television reporter Russ Ewing, who famously helped secure the safe surrender of more than 100 homicide suspects to authorities while working as a reporter, died at his Michigan home at age 95, according to a friend.

Ewing passed away late on Tuesday in his Paw Paw home due to complications from bladder cancer. He was only diagnosed with the condition in October.

WLS-TV - Producer - Patricia - L - Arnold

His former WLS-TV producer Patricia L. Arnold, who now works at a public relations firm, told the Chicago Tribune that the nine-time Emmy winner 'never saw himself as better than anybody else.'

Ewing had served as a buffer between homicide suspects and police during his nearly 30-year career in television news - and even in his retirement.

Calls - Suspects - Crimes - Time - Limitations

Ewing also received calls from those suspects of other crimes, but time limitations forced him to limit himself to answering the call of those accused in killings, he told the Associated Press in an interview in 1992.

'He was trying to make sure these suspects, and that was what they were because they hadn't been convicted in court, were delivered to the police station in one piece,' Arnold said.

Pictures - Head - Bruises

'They would take pictures from head to toe to make sure there were no bruises on them when they were delivered to police.'

Ewing found his niche in 1969, when a mental patient was holding his mother and several children hostage in a public housing project on Chicago's South Side.

'The - Cops - Guy - Ewing

'The cops couldn't get him out, so I said, "Let me see if I can talk to the guy,"' Ewing said. 'He recognized me and I talked...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!