Ryan, Gabbard Offer Sharply Contrasting Views on Afghanistan

CNS News | 6/27/2019 | Staff
newusr01 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/debateg4.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – The two House Democrats in Wednesday night’s presidential debate tussled over U.S. policy in Afghanistan, with Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii) calling for the withdrawal of American troops, and Rep. Tim Ryan (Ohio) arguing that without ongoing engagement, the terror threat will grow.

During one of the livelier exchanges during the debate, Gabbard implied that Ryan did not know that al-Qaeda, not the Taliban, attacked the United States on 9/11.

Afghanistan - Today - War - President - Commander-in-chief

“We are no better off in Afghanistan today than we were when this war began,” she said. “This is why it’s so important to have a president and commander-in-chief who knows the cost of war and who’s ready to do the job on day one.”

“I am ready to do that job when I walk into the Oval Office,” added Gabbard, who served in an Army National Guard field medical unit during the Iraq war.

Lives - Afghanistan - Money - Money - Pockets

She said so many lives had been lost in Afghanistan and so much money spent – “money that’s coming out of every one of our pockets, money that should be going into communities here at home.”

The segment began with moderator Rachel Maddow noting that the Taliban had claimed responsibility for killing two American troops in Afghanistan.

Ryan - Presidents - Parties - Temperaments - Presidents

Ryan was asked why it was that presidents from different parties and with “very different temperaments” – Presidents Obama and Trump – both wanted to end U.S. involvement in Afghanistan but had been unable to do so.

Recalling that his time in Congress included 12 years on committees dealing with defense issues, Ryan said, “the lesson that I’ve learned over the years is that you have to stay engaged in these situations. Nobody likes it. It's long. It’s tedious.”

State - Department

“I would say we must be engaged in this. We must have our State Department engaged. We must have our...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Aim and timing is evereything.