What to Do When Your Children Leave the Faith

The Stream | 6/22/2019 | David Mills
Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://stream.org/wp-content/uploads/Cute-atheist-slogan.jpg

There’s a lot of it about, Christian children losing their faith. Some move to laxer forms of Christianity, the “lite” versions that don’t ask as much of them. Others just drift away and become “nones.” Still others turn against Christianity.

Look just at the Catholic Church in America. The writer Robert Barron recently told the Catholic bishops that half of Catholics under 30 have left the Church. Most became “nones,” though others became Evangelical or mainline Protestants. One of every six millennials is a former Catholic. Most leave before 23 and the median age for leavers is only 13. Thirteen people leave the Church for every two that enter. The numbers for Evangelicals are not as bad, but not good either. Here’s a good survey of recent studies.

Mother - Talk - Church - First - Science

I’ve written about a mother who spoke up after a talk I gave in a local church. First in There’s Science and There’s Scientism and then a couple days ago in Three Reasons Christian Children Lose Their Faith. Her daughter said she’d learned too much science in medical school to believe in religion.

This is the third article in a series of three. For the first and second articles in the series, see There’s Science and There’s Scientism and Three Reasons Christian Children Give Up Their Faith.

Children - Faith - Reason - Things - Answer

What can we do when children lose their faith? Whatever reason they give? A few things. But I’m afraid there’s no magic answer. People choose what they choose for deep, complex and usually tangled reasons. Convincing someone who’s lost his faith to commit himself to the Lord again isn’t like fixing a busted pipe. Everyone can see the problem and knows how to fix it. Your child may not see the problem. He probably thinks he’s seen the real problem (religion) and answered it. You’re asking him to change...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Stream
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.
Tagged: