Letitia Wright, John Boyega to Star in Steve McQueen’s Series ‘Small Axe’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety | 6/26/2019 | Stewart Clarke
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/shutterstock_9662977tf-cropped-1-e1561557731201.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Letitia Wright and John Boyega head an all-star British cast in Steve McQueen’s upcoming anthology series, “Small Axe,” one of the most eagerly anticipated dramas coming out of Britain, where it will air on the BBC. Amazon has already snagged the show for the U.S.

The series from the Oscar-winning director of “12 Years a Slave” and “Widows” has been years in the making. It is set in London’s West Indian community, starting in the late 1960s and running until the early ’80s.

Production - Location - London - Boyega - Star

Production is now underway on location in London. Boyega (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) and Wright (“Black Panther”) join a cast that also includes Malachi Kirby (“Black Mirror”), Shaun Parkes (“Lost in Space”), Rochenda Sandall (“Line of Duty”), Alex Jennings (“Victoria”) and Jack Lowden (“Mary Queen of Scots”).

The series will comprise six parts and tell five different stories. Its title is derived from a Jamaican proverb with resonance throughout the Caribbean: “If you are the big tree, we are the small axe.” It is also the title of a Bob Marley song from his 1973 album “Catch a Fire.” McQueen conceived the anthology’s stories with Alastair Siddons and Courttia Newland. Novelist Alex Wheatle is a writing consultant.

Amazon - Steve - McQueen - Anthology - Series

Amazon to Launch Steve McQueen's Anthology Series ‘Small Axe’ in the U.S.

“I felt these stories needed to be shared,” said McQueen, who will also exec produce. “I wanted to relive, reevaluate and investigate the journeys that my parents and the first generation of West...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton