Slaves to Worship

Summit Life with J.D. Greear | 6/26/2019 | Staff
KimmyPoo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://jdgreear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/marc-olivier-jodoin-TStNU7H4UEE-unsplash-1.jpg

The Apostle Paul taught in Romans that everybody—religious or irreligious, moral or immoral—is driven by worship.

Note the main verb Paul uses—“offer.” This is the language of religious devotion: You “offer” your bodies to something like a person might offer an animal sacrifice in worship. You become a “slave” to it because you’ll do whatever it takes to get that thing and hold onto it.

Listen - Bud - Nobody - Slave

To which you might say, “Listen, bud, when I sin, I’m doing only what I want to. I’m nobody’s slave.”

Paul would say otherwise. Here’s how it works, as described by the late Christian counselor David Powlison.

Value - People - Things - Categories

We tend to attach ultimate value to people or things in four basic categories:

Power: Some people love influence and recognition. They seek that power through money or status or job success because those are reliable ways of increasing power.

Control - People - Everything - Plan - Timetable

Control: Some people want everything to go according to their plan, and if their timetable is thrown off (even by a few minutes), they become irritable, impatient, and angry.

Approval: Some people crave acceptance. They can’t be happy unless other people (at least, certain other people) are happy with them, admire them, or desire them. Criticism, not being affirmed, and being picked last are devastating experiences.

Pleasure - People - Delights - Pleasure - House

Pleasure: Some people long for physical delights, be it sexual pleasure, a nice house, big vacations, a nice car, or good food.

There’s nothing wrong with any of those things in and of themselves. But when they become central in our lives—something we can’t live without, something that compels our obedience even over what God wants—that’s when they become wicked and enslaving.

Worship - Thing - Thing

False worship is when a good thing becomes a god thing.

And so turns into a bad thing.

Fact - Paul - Word - Nature - Sin

In fact, Paul uses a very illuminating word to describe the nature of sin in Romans 6:12: “Let not sin therefore reign in your...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Summit Life with J.D. Greear
Wake Up To Breaking News!
This space intentionally left blank
Tagged: