Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/06/us-soldiers-american-afghanistan-640x335.jpg
Two U.S. service members were killed during a military operation in eastern Afghanistan early on Wednesday morning, NATO said, the latest international casualties as the U.S. and the Taliban prepare for talks.
Their loss came just hours after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an unannounced visit to Kabul and outlined his hopes for a peace deal with the Taliban “before September 1.”
Accordance - US - Department - Defense - Policy
“In accordance with U.S. Department of Defense policy, the names of the service members are being withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete,” NATO’s Resolute Support mission said.
The Taliban claimed in a statement they killed two American soldiers in an ambush in Sayed Abad district of southern Wardak province on Wednesday. There was no immediate confirmation or denial from NATO whether it was the same attack.
Blast - Number - US - Service - Members
The blast brings to nine the number of US service members killed in Afghanistan so far this year, compared to 12 killed in all of 2018.
In his visit with President Ashraf Ghani, Pompeo said he hopes for a peace deal with the Taliban “before September 1”, speaking as he made his first visit to Kabul since Washington launched talks with the insurgents last year.
Pompeo - President - Ashraf - Ghani
Pompeo met with President Ashraf Ghani as well as...
Wake Up To Breaking News!