Judy Garland died from an accidental “incautious self-overdosage” of the sleeping tablets she had taken since she was a child actress, a coroner said in London yesterday.
The Westminster coroner, Mr Gavin Thurston, recorded a verdict of accidental death on Miss Garland, aged 47, who was found slumped in the bathroom of her home in Cadogan Lane, Chelsea, on Sunday.
Circumstance - Person - Barbiturates - Time - Coroner
“This is quite clearly an accidental circumstance to a person who was accustomed to taking barbiturates over a very long time,” the coroner said. She had died of quinal barbitone poisoning.
There was absolutely no evidence to suggest this was a deliberate action by her. There was “no question of alcoholism,” Mr Thurston said. He described the 4.9 milligrammes per cent barbiturate level in her blood as “extremely high” as a result of repeated small doses.
Doctor - London - Dr - John - Traherne
Earlier, her doctor in London, Dr John Traherne, who prescribed seconal sedative tablets for her, said: “I don’t think she could have slept without them.”
Dr Traherne said Miss Garland, who had occasional bouts of depression, told him after she was married three months ago for the fifth time: “I didn’t know I could be this happy.”
Miss - Garland - Drug - Lift - Lot
Miss Garland also took another drug as an antidepressant “lift,” he said. She did not drink a lot, and he had seen her sip a vodka and fruit juice for one...
Wake Up To Breaking News!