Lord, Spare Me from Success

Desiring God | 6/24/2019 | Greg Morse
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/lord-spare-me-from-success-jia79fqz-en/landscape/lord-spare-me-from-success-jia79fqz-6673698ada7b37bcd908d2b12ebda906.jpg?ts=1560894466&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

I failed as a collegiate athlete. For some years now, I’ve looked back with regret on wasted potential and childhood dreams that were so close to coming true but never did. Why didn’t I work harder? What if I had known what I do today? Why didn’t God allow me to utilize the gifts he gave me? It still bothers me from time to time.

Even if you’ve never spent time on a football field, you may relate. Your passions outpaced your progress; your gifting never realized its full potential. But as you grimace considering the success that never came, has it ever crossed your mind to actually thank God for your failure?

Thank - God - Failure

Thank God for Failure?

It hadn’t crossed my mind until recently. Lost in a daydream of what could have been, words from Spurgeon sent arrows deep into my fantasy:

Men - Success - None - Grace - Success

There are very few men who can bear success — none can do so unless great grace is given to them! And if, after a little success, you begin to say, “There now, I am somebody. Did I not do that well? These poor old fogies do not know how to do it — I will teach them” — you will have to go into the back rank, brother, you are not yet able to endure success! It is clear that you cannot stand praise.

Without a moment’s hesitation, that success I pined after so long had soured in my mouth. Like Dr. Frankenstein, who obsessed for months over his creation only to shrink in horror the moment the monster animated, I saw my idol with sobriety. The “success” I longed to embrace — for me — was as much the celebrity I longed to embrace. I had a healthy love for the sport, but I had an unhealthy love for my own...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!
Tagged: