Mayor defends free speech after Obama, Hillary locked up on South Dakota parade float

The American Mirror | 6/24/2019 | Staff
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Trumpfloat.png

Highmore’s 50th annual Settler’s Day is “just a wonderful time to get together and come back home,” Mayor Vikki Day said, but an interesting float at this year’s parade is giving some folks palpitations.

“I had to think about it with the mask of Obama, coming out as racist,” Jeff Damer, creator of the controversial float, told KSFY. “I just wanted to put it out there, it was just my view that they should be charged, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.”

Float - Trailer - People - Cage - Obama

The float featured a trailer with two people inside a cage wearing Obama and Clinton masks, the word “Guantanamo” spray-painted on a sign above. Another man wearing a President Trump mask stood outside the cell next to a makeshift wall with the words “Build the Wall.”

The trailer was ringed with numerous American flags, and featured Trump Make America Great Again flags flying from the rear gate.

Day - News - Site - City - Lot

Day told the news site the city received a lot of calls and messages from people complaining about the float, but officials don’t regret allowing Damer to participate in the parade.

“My stance, and the city’s stance is that every person has a right to the first amendment, to express his or her speech, and the expressions of it, we do not regulate that,” Day said.

South - Dakota - Blogger - Kevin - Woster

South Dakota blogger Kevin Woster told KSFY he was among those whose feelings were hurt from the float.

“Well when I saw that, to me it was objectionable,” Woster said, adding that he’s since spoken to Damer about the display.

Contact - Progress

“We’ve stayed in contact, and I think we got to talking pretty good, and I think we’re making some progress,” he said.

Damer certainly isn’t the first local to lampoon liberal politicians during their hometown parade.

Aurora - Indiana - Resident - Frank - Linkemeyer

Aurora, Indiana resident Frank Linkemeyer crafted a parade float in 2016 for the Aurora Farmers Fair that depicted Democratic presidential...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The American Mirror
Wake Up To Breaking News!