Shanghai Juror Wang Jingchun on Craft, Quotas, and Prospects for Arthouse Cinema

Variety | 6/22/2019 | Rebecca Davis
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/file.jpeg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Coming off his best actor win at the Berlin International Film Festival for the Wang Xiaoshuai-directed “So Long My Son,” Wang Jingchun is this year acting as a main competition jury member at the Shanghai International Film Festival, which concludes Sunday. He was last a jury member for the shorts selection at the festival five years ago, but this time “the scale is different. There’s a lot more responsibility,” he admits.

Sixth generation director, Wang Xiaoshuai’s brutal, emotional critique of China’s one-child policy, told through the story of a couple who suffer through the death of their only son and a botched abortion that leaves the mother infertile, was chosen to compete for the Golden Bear in February and also netted a best actress win for Wang’s co-star, Yong Mei.

Wang - Eight - Hundred - War - Epic

Wang laughs that he himself had almost appeared in “The Eight Hundred” — the hotly anticipated war epic that was abruptly pulled the day before it was set to debut as Shanghai’s opening film — but had to pass because the shoot conflicted with that of “So Long, My Son.” “At the time, [“Eight Hundred” director] Guan Hu was really mad, and kept saying, ‘You refused me!’ But then he saw our film, and said, ‘Oh, it was because of this?’ When I said yes he said, ‘OK, OK, it’s not a problem. I understand.”

Shanghai Film Review: 'The Fall'

Film - Theaters - Europe - Wang - Variety

As the film prepares to hit theaters in Europe, Wang sat down with Variety to discuss his craft.

Variety: Arthouse films still struggle to get theatrically programmed yet are seeing a growing box office. What do you make of the future of arthouse films in China?

Wang - Box - Office - Thing - Box

Wang: The rising box office is a really good thing. At its worst, we hardly had a box office to speak of. There also used to be a problem with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!