How TV Failed Me on Bisexuality — And Then Got Its Act Together (Column)

Variety | 6/21/2019 | Caroline Framke
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/sex-and-the-city-brooklyn-nine-nine-bisexuality-on-tv.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Carrie Bradshaw never met a sexual inclination she wouldn’t hear out — until she encountered bisexuality.

“I’m not even sure bisexuality exists,” she complains in a season 3 episode of “Sex and the City,” the HBO comedy named for her supposedly open-minded sex advice column. “I think it’s just a layover on the way to Gaytown.”

Carrie - Episode - Boy - Girl - Boy

Carrie spends the entire episode of “Boy Girl Boy Girl” dating a 26 year-old bisexual man and gritting her teeth about him “choosing” to date both men and women. Besides open-minded sexual explorer Samantha (who shrugs that he’s “evolved”), Carrie’s friends share her disdain with relish. Miranda insists that he’s “greedy” and “double dipping”; Charlotte sniffs that he should “just pick a side and stay there.”

Eventually, Carrie eventually writes off his sexual orientation as a quirk of belonging to a younger generation. As she finally leaves him behind at a party full of his sexually fluid friends and exes, her concluding voiceover shrugs that she’s just “too old to play this game” — as if bisexuality were a condition one could grow out of.

Dwyane - Wade - Son - Pride - 'This

Dwyane Wade On Supporting His Son at Pride: 'This is My Job As a Father'

It took me a long time to realize why I was so frustrated by TV’s shortsighted approach to any sexuality outside a black and white sexuality binary. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I accepted the fact that I, too, exist in the vast gray area of sexuality that TV rarely deigned to respect.

Disappointment - Character - Eyes - Bisexuality - Idea

Granted, maybe the bone-deep disappointment I felt when some character rolled their eyes at bisexuality should have tipped me off. But I also believe that I would have been far more open to the idea of being bisexual if I had witnessed it depicted as an intrinsic part of life rather than an attention-seeking...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!