Corpus Christi: ‘It Is Astounding to Consider What Bread Can Become’

The Deacon's Bench | 6/21/2019 | Staff
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/06/P1010929.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/06/P1010929-768x512.jpeg

A few thoughts from my first Corpus Christi homily, from 2007:

When I was young and first living on my own – way back before I was married – I decided to try and teach myself to cook. The “man-sized” TV dinners weren’t cutting it. So I got a couple of cookbooks, including one called “Cooking for Men,” which included recipes for things like meat loaf, chili and pot roast.

Thing - Bread - Something - Shot - Day

But the most adventurous thing I attempted was trying to bake bread. I don’t know why I thought this was something I needed to know how to do, but I thought I’d give it a shot. If you’ve ever tried this, you know: it’s an all day affair. You take the ingredients and knead the dough and then you knead it again and then you have to wait for it to rise and then you have to actually bake it.

It took hours. And when I was done, I later told a friend about it. He listened very politely and then replied, “You know, Greg, they sell that already made at Safeway. It’s in little plastic bags and it’s called Wonder Bread. You should try it.”

Beginning - End - Career - Baker

That was more or less the beginning and end of my career as a baker.

But — speaking of Wonder Bread — there is something wondrous about it. The smell, the texture, even the flavor of just-baked bread is unlike any other experience. And if you add butter or jelly or even use fresh bread to make a sandwich, well, it’s transformative. It is truly astounding to consider what bread can become.

Point - Feast - Corpus - Christi - Feast

And that, I think, is the point of this feast, Corpus Christi, the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ.

It is astounding to consider what bread can become.

Work - Loaf

The work it takes to bake a loaf...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: