Family Research Council president elected to chair religious freedom commission

Catholic News Agency | 6/20/2019 | Staff
moemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Tony_Perkins_1.jpg

Washington D.C., Jun 20, 2019 / 01:00 pm (CNA).- The president of a Christian political advocacy and lobbying group has been elected to serve as chairman of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom.

Tony Perkins is president of the Family Research Council and has been a member of the commission since he was appointed by Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2018.

Commissioners - Responsibility - Commission - Honor - Group

“I would like to thank my fellow commissioners for entrusting me with the responsibility of guiding this Commission. It is an honor to work with this diverse group of dedicated professionals on such an important issue,” Perkins said June 19.

“I look forward to continuing our efforts to promote the fundamental human right of religious freedom for all people.”

USCIRF - Commission - President - Congress - Secretary

USCIRF is a bipartisan commission that advises the President, Congress, and the Secretary of State on international religious freedom issues. It issues annually a report detailing religious persecution around the globe, and commissioners advocate for religious liberty protections with global leaders and domestic lawmakers.

Perkins, 56, served two terms as a Louisiana state legislator, and ran unsuccessfully as a Republican in the state’s 2002 senatorial race. In 2003, He became president of the Family Research Council, a lobbying organization affiliated with Focus on the Family.

Perkins - Election

Perkins has not responded to directly criticisms regarding his election.

In a June 19 column, however, he wrote that “as Christians, we must care about the plight of those suffering for their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!