Google ramps up competition with Facebook Pages with new tools for local businesses

TechCrunch | 6/20/2019 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/google-my-business.png?w=764

Google has been steadily updating its tools for businesses looking to reach more customers across Google’s platforms, including Search and Google Maps. Last year, the company took on Facebook Pages with a feature that let users “follow” and message businesses directly, as well as be updated about promotions, sales, and other events. Today, Google is rolling out a host of other tools for Google My Business, focused on attracting customers and encouraging follows.

The suite of tools known as Google My Business was first introduced five years ago, as a way for businesses with a Google presence to have a one-stop shop for updating their business information online, add photos, read reviews, and — at the time — use Google+. While the latter has since shut down, Google is still competing with Facebook in its own way.

Network - Businesses - Reach - Customers - Google

But now, instead of building out a vast social network of its own, it’s focused on helping businesses reach customers through Google’s most-used platforms.

Already, customers could “follow” a business to track its updates in the new “For You” tab on Google Maps. It’s very much Google’s version of liking a Facebook Page, then getting updates in a feed. Meanwhile, businesses could use the new Customers tab to read reviews and respond to inquires. They can also post to their business profile on Google.

Today - Handful - Tools - Profiles - Appealing

Today’s update includes a handful of other tools for making those profiles more appealing.

For example, businesses can now add a logo to their profile, upload photos that are then displayed in a new dynamic module on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...