Should You Support Your Spouse When You Disagree with Them?

ChurchLeaders | 6/20/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/admin-ajax.php-5.jpeg

God calls married couples to live in unity, but unity does NOT always mean uniformity. A husband and wife should be unified in their commitment to each other and their core convictions, but every couple is going to have different personalities, different perspectives, and different opinions. In those moments of disagreement, how should we respond?

Should You Support Your Spouse When You Disagree with Them?

Question - Answer - Situation - Example - Spouse

That’s a loaded question without a one-size-fits-all answer because every situation is unique. For example, if your spouse wants to become an illegal drug dealer and put the entire family’s lives at risk, then you obviously have a responsibility to disagree with them and to do so without compromise. On the other extreme, if your spouse is wanting to watch a TV show you think is boring, instead of staging an intervention and stealing the remote, it might be best to serve them by allowing their preference to win out above your own at that moment.

I’m going to format this article a bit differently than usual to help make this as practical as possible because this issue is one we have to get right in marriage. If we allow misunderstandings or selfish pride to creep in when disagreements happen in marriage, the lack of unity could create a lack of peace and trust and could eventually end the marriage altogether. I’m going to break this down as simply as I can by giving three specific categories of potential disagreements and the primary goal for each category. There are probably exceptions and possibly other categories outside these three, but I’m convinced most marital issues fit inside one of these three categories.

Categories - Disagreement - Marriage

The three main categories of disagreement in marriage are:

Principle issues include issues like a commitment to each other, commitment to your children, commitment to a core set of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
Tagged: