KHARTOUM (Reuters) – The head of Sudan’s ruling military council said on Wednesday it was ready to meet an opposition alliance to negotiate the country’s transition toward democracy, after talks collapsed following the deadly dispersal of a protest sit-in.
“We are ready to continue negotiations with the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces,” Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said. “We do not deny its role in the uprising or in the popular revolution, their leadership of the masses.”
Talks - Council - DFCF - Alliance - Security
Talks between the military council and the DFCF alliance had stalled before collapsing altogether when security forces stormed a protest camp outside the Defence Ministry on June 3, killing dozens.
They had been wrangling for weeks over who would control a sovereign council to lead Sudan to elections: civilians or the military.
Burhan - Alliance - Talks - Preconditions
Burhan said the alliance should return to talks without preconditions.
“The solution must be satisfactory for all the Sudanese people,” he said. “We pledge to you and pledge to the people that we will not accept any solution that excludes any faction of the Sudanese people.”
Opposition - Inquiry - Dispersal - Talks
The opposition had called for an international inquiry to be opened into the sit-in dispersal before they would rejoin talks.
There have been no direct talks since the dispersal, but Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and the African Union have been trying to mediate between the sides.
The military overthrew and detained then...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.