Jon Hamm on the Archangel Gabriel in ‘Good Omens,’ Faith in Humanity and Breaking Through the Noise

Variety | 6/19/2019 | Stewart Clarke
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/goodomens_102_17790_rt_final-cropped-e1560937519277.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Jon Hamm was a longtime fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s novel “Good Omens” before Amazon and the BBC developed it into a series, and said he signed on for the show without even reading Gaiman’s scripts. Hamm stars as a nattily dressed Archangel Gabriel in the series, which he describes as part buddy-comedy and part thriller, with some horror thrown in.

Hamm talked to Variety about playing God’s messenger – and how he originally had the celestial character pegged as a posh Brit.

Admiration - Book - Pressure - Page

You’ve spoken about your admiration for the book. Can that add pressure – to live up to what is on the page?

I suppose it can; it didn’t necessarily for me. I was just pleased to be asked to be part of it. I haven’t had that experience before, to get an opportunity to work on something that I enjoyed in a completely different aspect. I really loved it. It would be like me getting the chance to work on a “Star Wars” thing because I have been a fan of “Star Wars” all my life.

Archangel - Gabriel - Character - Features - Series

The Archangel Gabriel character features much more in the series than the novel.

It doesn’t really exist in the book; he’s just mentioned in passing. I felt very confident in trusting Neil, because he co-wrote the book, to come up with a version of the Archangel Gabriel that would be compelling. Then it was working with [director] Douglas [Mackinnon], costume, and hair and makeup, and we all came down on the same side of who this guy is and what he looks like.

Did - Input

Did you have any input?

Neil had already pretty much adapted the six scripts. I hadn’t read them when I said yes to the part. I just said yes.

Guy

Once I started reading them, I said I think I know who this guy is:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.